The Department of Neurosurgery at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School has hired Gabrielle DeTora of DeTora Consulting to facilitate a strategic planning process. As a result of the process, the DeTora Consulting will deliver the Department of Neurological Surgery Strategic Initiative for the next phase of the Departments’ growth.
Rutgers University, The State University of New Jersey, and RWJBarnabas Health (RBHS) jointly operate a world-class academic health system dedicated to life-changing research, clinical training of tomorrow’s workforce, and high-quality health care for all. The Department of Neurosurgery at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School is striving to become New Jersey’s and region’s leader in the treatment of Neurosurgical Disease by attracting and encouraging the best talent and by expanding the subspecialty practices.
DeTora Consulting will facilitate a leadership retreat to review the Department’s history, current status, and current market environment. As a result, DeTora Consulting will help the Department formalize its future goals and priorities. Using the Six Sigma DMAIC process, DeTora Consulting will utilize the insights from the leadership team to develop the 2020 Roadmap enclosed in this Strategic Plan.
Key drivers in developing the plan will include the rapid consolidation in the New Jersey and national marketplaces including the Robert Wood Johnson/University Hospital/Rutgers consolidation, the Saint Barnabas/Rutgers consolidation, collaboration between Rutgers CINJ and the Rutgers Schools of Medicine, increased competition from the Hackensack/Meridian merger, variable system participation in ACOs.
Consideration will be given to numerous operational issues such as defining what constitutes adequate physical plant and personnel needs, financial and resource needs and limitations, solvency targets for hospital partners, performance and quality improvement needs, financial billing and contract shifts, and faculty development and retention.
The Strategic Plan will define the Departmental Mission and Vision Statements based on four strategic pillars – Clinical, Education, Research, and Faculty.
During the process, DeTora Consulting will:
- Create the goals, priorities and general action plans for key strategic issues that will chart our future.
- Create a process to launch the Department’s strategic future as it consolidates, grows and expands specialties.
- Improve the brand positioning for the Department and capitalize on system-wide assets.
- Create strong barriers to entry while protecting and increasing market share.
- Establish a process that encourages excellence in academic focus without compromising the enterprise.
- Create a forum for faculty to collectively discuss and define initiatives that will chart the course for the next 3 – 5 years.
- Develop cross-functional service lines to shift how the Department attracts cases, mirrors national centers and appeals to RBHS value positioning.
- Establish transparency in the operational structure to include the identification of how funds are allocated, spent and how the Department’s bottom line should be reinvested.
- Establish the transparency about roles, organization and ways to expand the physical footprint.
- Develop the mechanisms to support developing practices needs attention in light of affiliate growth and clinicians’ target revenue goals.
- Engage both departments to create recommendations on a system-wide integration process that leverages each department’s the talents and financial strengths.
- Identify and enhance the sub-specialty services, and the affiliate/collaborative programs with target segmentation.
- Develop a robust quality assurance and performance improvement program as a means of leveraging negotiations with third-party carriers and the local, state and federal governments.
- Improve the Department’s ranking in current industry indices and programs (e.g. U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals”)
Continue transparency of tracking and reporting status during tactical execution of the plan.
Gabrielle DeTora and DeTora Consulting are thrilled to be embarking on this important strategic plan on behalf of one of the leaders in Neurosurgery for New Jersey and beyond.