Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) contracted Gabrielle DeTora at DeTora Consulting to conduct a thorough analysis of why RIM had not been ranked on the U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals” Rankings. DeTora Consulting will also develop a strategy to be ranked on this prestigious list moving forward.
RIM is considered a national leader in the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation. With its 69-bed inpatient hospital and numerous outpatient sites located throughout Southeastern Michigan, RIM is also one of the nation’s largest freestanding rehabilitation hospitals.
Despite providing quality patient care, academic excellence and cutting-edge research in physical medicine and rehabilitation, RIM was not ranking on the U.S. News & World Report “Best Hospitals” Rankings.
RIM’s goals are three-fold:
- Gain a position on this prestigious list
- Understand how competing hospitals are scoring and where RIM can command an edge in the rankings against those competitors, and
- Ultimately evaluate what it would take to succeed and if the administration believes it is worth the investment.
- Uncover quality, documentation, and reputation shortcomings, if any
- Determine critical success factors and tactical steps for improvement
- Conduct a review and evaluation of past efforts to engage with physiatrists and related professional societies, including AAPM&R, ACRM, AAP and AMRPA
- Prioritize sub-service initiatives in messaging to maximize chances for ranking success
- Focus on RIM as a rehab hospital partner and educator, rather than a competitor of other rehabilitation facilities and PM&R practices
- Develop a creative brief with talking points on key topics of valued peer-to-peer education, positioning RIM as a national leader in the field
- Determine options for optimizing the Doximity platform in the most effective, yet financially efficient ways and make a recommendation based on our experience with other successful clients (none of which purchase the Doximity packages)
- Outline a timeline for improvement initiative management
- Develop an information dashboard to track results
RIM is known for its treatment of a wide range of conditions that demand advanced rehabilitation and medical management – especially spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, pulmonary conditions and stroke. Patients rate hospital physicians and staff highly for the depth of their clinical excellence, compassion and outstanding outcomes achieved as a team.